Re: cooling

> I'd love it if someone can shoot holes in this idea *before* I dig a big
> hole in the yard in this Modesto heat. :-) [Predicted to hit 100, today,
> but so far only 95F.]
>
> Wright

I think it's a good idea. I think you'll find a max cooling layer at about
20ft or so. Deeper is better but then you have to pump it through more
piping/head.

If it were me, I'd use PVC, less prone to leaks/cracks breaks etc than wimpy
irrigation line. If you ran and few long runs or straight pipe lengths, that
should be enough. I think your idea is good for individual tanks
though(using the irrigation line)....

If you toss coils in a small deep hole, the coils will heat the area around
the hole easily. If you dig long runs, this will not happen as much. I'd use
larger pipe like 1/2-3/4 inch and run the water through slow. Trenches vs
holes.

The other solution is to get an air conditioner, you live there too:-) Or a
swamp cooler.

You could use this idea scaled up using air to cool your home also. That
would be a decent and efficient idea. Rent a trencher, make a grid series of
deep cuts and use 100ft of 4inch pipe + a squirrel cage fan
etc............or live in a sod/adobe/semi underground house:)

Regards,
Tom Barr