re: Nuphar Japonica

Hi everyone,
The link to the picture posted by Robert is Nuphar japonica growing in my 65
gallon tank.

The following info is anecdotal, based on my failures and successes with this
plant.

N. japonica typically comes as a rhizome, one end cut from the mother plant
and the other end the growing part. The rhizome develops anchor roots off the
bottom and side of the rhizome. Easy to tell up and down with this plant. The
cut end can have a tendency to start rotting and if the plant doesn't grow
the rot can overtake any new growth and the plant can die. The plant
supposedly comes from the orient, but it also grows in the Cape Fear River
basin in the Carolinas, I believe. That is where mine came from. Maybe a
non-native? It looks a lot like an Aponogeton ulvaceous with stems.

Proper planting:  Cut any rotten tissue off the cut end of the rhizome. Plant
the rhizome beneath the substrate with the growing end breaking the surface.
The rhizome should be buried at a 30-40 degree angle to the substrate, with
the cut end the lower. The plant will grow in a line, the rhizome beneath the
surface, and new leaves will come up from the top of the rhizome. Place the
growing end of the plant in a direction where it will have room to grow. Plan
for the spread of the plant in a straight line .

Growth: the leaves on cuttings are usually small, and as the plant grows in
your tank the leaves become increasingly longer. Mine started out 2-3 inches
in length and are now 22 inches or more after several months. The leaves
rarely get any algae on them. Tropica states there is some natural algae
resistance in the plant. My experience confirms this.

Nutrition: The 65 gallon tank mine grows in has PC light at just over 3
watts/gallon, CO2 injection, and gets TMG and the occaisional root tab. I
think the plant likes bright light. It's bright translucent green color would
seem to indicate that also.

Past failure: I tried this plant twice before in similar tanks and while the
N. japonica didn't die, it slowly shank and turned into a bonsai plant, for
lack of a better word. It can linger like this for months and months. I
almost gave up on it. I was told it liked water movement, and gave it
current, but it did not seem to make a difference.

Current success: My interest in Discus was rekindled last year and I turned
the 65 into a rearing tank for some babies my breeding pair of discus had.
Consequently, I raised the temperature of this tank to around 85 degrees
farenheit. I then planted the N. japonica in this tank, and some other N.
japonica in my 125 gallon with temps in the mid 70s. The N. japonica in the
65 gallon took off and the N. japonica in the 125 did the bosai thing again,
just like before. The two tanks are identical in conditions except the higher
temps in the 65. So I can only guess that the plant needs higher temperatures
to thrive instead of just survive. Arizona Aquatic Gardens recommends this
plant for Discus tanks, so maybe this confirms the need for higher
temperatures, although they never have it in stock, and AquaBotanic does
right now.

I love this plant. It is absolutely one of my favorites. I am glad I can grow
it now after two previous failures. Maybe my experience can help some of you
avoid my learning curve.

David Grim

multipart/alternative
  text/html