Re: Tank too hot

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 07:51:52AM -0400, Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:
> 	I need to figure out a good (cheap/aesthetically pleasing/efficient) way
> 	of cooling my tank down. Mt tank temperature stays way above what I want
> 	it at. The heater is set to 72F, but that doesnt matter. Tank temp reaches
> 	82-84F during the day. This morning before the lights came on the tank temp was
> 	75F. Room temperature is 72-76F.
> 	Its probably because of the lights 80Watts Fluorescent + 110Watts CF.

That's strange.  Thats seem like an awfully high temperature shift.

> 	2) Install a 4" fan (24.99 from drsfostersmith.com) on the side of the CF.

You can get 4" computer fans at Radio Shack much cheaper.

If you get a fan, and don't mind spending extra, I recommend the
Icecap Variable Speed Fans, has a thermometer built in, so only
runs high speed (noisy) when the temp peaks.

If you have the fan(s) aimed at the water you'll get better cooling,
but more evaporation.

> 	1) Raise the lights up a little to give an air gap between canopy & lights
> 	and lower the water level in the tank 1".

Sure try it.  Only experimentation will tell for sure.

-Eric