Re: Hybrid Fish - A few cents more

Scott Hieber said, in part:

<< . . .If they are infertile/impotent, the traits wouldn't diappear into the
gene pool; the creatures would die off.  Of course, it's conceiveable
that the supply of sterile creattures in the wild could continuously be
replenshed by human machinations. . . . >>

I agree.  If the hybrids can't reproduce then they can't do any harm to the
environment.  Restockings of sterile hybrids wouldn't have a significant
impact,
I wouldn't think.

Note that hybrids are not considered to be a species.  A species has
developed
thousands of years or more through natural selection, so that it's
characteristics
are those which lead to survival.  Fertile hybrids, on the other hand, have
typically
existed for no more than a few months or years and their genetic
characteristics
have been determined mainly by their breeders.  If these breed with wild fish
the
effect on the gene pool is unpredictable, but the resultant fish would be
hybrids, not wild, and conceivably the wild fish would disappear, replace by
something new.

And if I may add one other point to this already too long post:  Evolution
doesn't happen through hybridization.  Darwin observed that it occurs when
inheritable variations within a species give a competitive edge to those
individuals who have it,  meaning that more of their offspring survive to
breed, etc.

Bill