RE: Amano Shrimp and Chloride

Hi Alex,

I wouldn't know about how the Potassium Chloride (KCl) would affect the
algae-eating shrimp, but what is the hardness of your water?  If your
water is too soft, you won't be able to keep the shrimp.  They need the
hard water to be able to develop their shells.

The other (probably silly) question is - - are you sure they really did
die?  These little critters are notorius for being able to hide
themselves almost anywhere.  I put two in one of my smaller tanks (20G)
and didn't see them for another week.  I though they had died, but there
they were, very efficiently cleaning up algae.

I also remember when I first added some of these little guys to my 50G
tank.  Sometime later I found what I thought to be a dead shrimp on the
bottom.  But...it turned out to be just the shrimp's empty shell.  They
shed their exteriors as they grow, and what they leave behind looks
exactly like the shrimp itself.

Gitte