Re: gfci??

> Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 03:42:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Re: gfci??
>
> Someone said about GFCIs that they are no harder to install than a
> replacement outlet, *except*
>  they take up a little more room in the outlet box.
>
> This isn't quite so that they are no harder to install, at least with
> most GFCIs on the market such as Levitons.  There are different ways
> that you can wire the GFCI depending on whether you want the GFCI to
> protect some or all other outlets on same circuit.  The alternatives
> can be confusing and the diagrams aren't always easy to follow.

Yes, I said that.  Just a few sentences later I also said, "...take out the
old outlet and transfer its wires to the 'Line' screws on the gfci outlet.
You will probably leave the 'Load' screws unconnected."

If you only connect the "Line" terminals, a gfci installed exactly like a
muscle-bound conventional receptacle, and will only protect itself and not
the downstream outlets.  This is a good thing; if you don't know what other
outlets are on the same circuit, you probably do not want them on a gfci
(because they are prone to false trips).  Imagine that the next outlet on
the circuit has your alarm clock or a freezer plugged into it...

Using one gfci to protect multiple outlets on a circuit is great when you
are installing a new circuit and can design for it.  It doesn't usually
work so well in a retrofit.

Best regards,
Bob

Best regards,