Re: Avoiding Dumping CO2

The flames on this topic got out of hand fast but there is "some"
good information in the thread.

Thanks Dave for starting it and Wright for the more technical
explanation.

My personal experience agrees.  I home-brewed a low pressure CO2
manifold system.  In order to make use of some marginal needle
valves, I lowered the manifold inlet pressure to
4 psi to try to keep the valves in laminar flow, thinking this
would give me better control.  My results are mixed.  I have
adequate control but I know it is not optimal.  I will try
raising the inlet pressure to see if there is an improvement.

Wright makes a strong point for increasing the inlet pressure
so that turbulent flow is guaranteed.  And yes it is entirely
possible that velocities at the transition boundary can approach
supersonic.  Although the area would be microscopic, it does
affect the rate and efficiency of flow.

And, BTW, as a military aviator I had to be familiar with
these concepts, albeit at a slightly more macro level.

Lyndle Schenck