Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #112

on 5/23/02 9:38 PM, Aquatic Plants Digest at Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
wrote:

> Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 21:21:36 -0400
> From: "Joshua Wiegert" <JLW at dune_net>
> Subject: Strange Question about Java Moss
>
> Hi everyone.
>
> I've got two strange questions about either Java or Willow Moss
> (Fontinallis.)  I have a LOT of this stuff, and was wondering if anyone has
> ever tried using it in a bog media -- i.e., rather than using Sphagnum moss
> for a medium, using one of these two.  Ideally, I'd like to try to plant
> pitcher plants in it, but am wondering if it would work.... Anyone ever
> tried it?

I'll take a stab at this. (with apologies to CP lovers of the world that
actually know what they are talking about.) Pitcher plants of the genus
Sarracenia, along with most other carnivorous plants do no like fertilizer,
N,P,K, etc. In fact, fertilization may burn their roots. Thats why it is
suggested that you only water with r/o or rainwater. If the java moss dies,
I think it would release all the N,P,K,Ca....(insert laundry list of
chemicals) that it has. Peat is already dead and in something close to an
arrested state of decomposition, it will release humic acids, but nothing
toxic to CPs. As a potting medium, I would advise against it. As a top
dressing, it might work out. I think it would depend on how moist it can be
kept and how it adapts to partially emersed growth....and that....would be a
question for one of the experts on the list.

you now have my two cents...that used to by you two peices of bubble gum.=)

-Zach