Diamtom filter and media suggestions

Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:09:14 -0400
From: "Kinney, Travis" <kinney at pdtarchs_com>
Subject: Diatom units..

.....I can rent one locally for $1 per day. Plus the $12 for the diatom
powder.
BUT, I was looking at a Magnum diatom filter and it seems like the cost of
nearly $100 or so is mostly for the plastic. A replacement filter might run
from $12 locally to $7 over the web.

The Petsmart online store sells Vortex Diatom filters for about $63.00.
Works beautifully.

If you go to a local (swimming) pool supply dealer, you can buy pure diatom
powder for a fraction the cost of any aquarium supply place.  I just picked
up a 10 lb. bag for about $7.00....You can buy it in 25 or 50 lb. bags also.
			Harriett Wittert in Chicago