Diatom units..

I can rent one locally for $1 per day. Plus the $12 for the diatom powder.
BUT, I was looking at a Magnum diatom filter and it seems like the cost of
nearly $100 or so is mostly for the plastic. A replacement filter might run
from $12 locally to $7 over the web. Pump looks simple. Why can you just buy
one of the magnum accordion type filters and rig it up in a PVC type
contraption with a pump? Has anyone tried making  their own diatom filter?
Also, it can't be too hard to rig up a large dia section of PVC with a pump
and house a UV light in it. Anyone tried that?

-Travis
(realizing that a pressurized co2 system would be much more handy than two
jugs of yeast brew...)