Avoiding Dumping CO2

I have a question.  When using a pressurized CO2 system with a needle
valve, what is the optimal pressure at which to set the second stage?
I have been keeping the second stage at around 10# psi, but I heard
recently that it is better to keep the second stage setting higher and
the needle valve more tightly closed.  I haven't let my CO2 tank go
empty for a couple of years now so it hasn't been an issue, but I
would rather be safe (if possible) then sorry (which I have been
enough of with this #@?*& stuff to last me a lifetime).

Thanks,

Alan

"Stupidity has a certain charm -- ignorance does not. "
--Frank Zappa