Snails and iron toxicity

I have a huge amount of water with aquarium plants and am not allowed
to put clown loaches in it, nor is it practical to physically remove
the snails by hand, it helps but they always come back.   Can anybody
help with a rumour that snails can be killed by raising the level of
iron in the water, an action that will not hurt the plants too much.
If this is true how much iron in parts per million would you need to
add to the water to kill off the troublesome snails.   My snail
problem is a local Australian native snail that loves to eat all
plants except hydrilla.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
Dave Wilson