Re: Profile

David Whittaker wrote:
When I noticed the low pH, I quickly added about 25
grams of powdered
dolomite. Presently I'm filtering the water through
calcite granules.
The pH is now 6.0. Can anyone explain the low pH? Does
the Profile
initially pull the calcium out of solution and replace
it with hydrogen
ions? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I reply:

Last week I set up a 20 gallon tank using Profile from
Canadian Tire. I
put 1/2" of peat in the bottom of the tank and 4" of
Profile on top.
After reading your message I just checked the pH and
there has been no
change at all. My water is almost exactly the same as
yours. I know it
doesn't help to explain your pH drop but I thought it
was kind of an
intersesting coincidence that we both set up the same
sort of thing at
the same time and got such different results. Can't
see how iron and
osmocote pellets would affect the pH. Maybe they react
together to form
an acid. You are going to have to test the Profile in
a separate
container without the additions to see if it will do
the same thing
again.

Wayne

Wayne and David,

I measured this effect sometime ago when I setup my
tank with Profile.  The fluctuation of pH was
dependent on the amount of washes that were conducted
on the Profile.  The more I washed the Profile prior
to using it, the more stable the pH would be.  If I
only washed it a few times, the pH would decline.

With water changes and time your pH should stabilize
at that of your tap water.

Lobos