Re:small amount of peat/Fertilizing low light tanks?

Tom Barr wrote:

> Flourite tanks using a non CO2 method have really impressed me and also
> looked very nice.

I set up two smallish tanks (10 & 18 gal.) in February of this year for
a new guppy enterprise. I used a 60% Flourite/40% gravel mixture and
have just a little over 2 watts per gallon. I stuffed the tanks with
water sprite and other plants to start with, and added a couple of otos
and cories. The tanks cycled in 10 days flat, and the ammonia never
really "spiked." After a month, I added some pieces of Jobes sticks to
the gravel and began using Flourish Excel, carefully. I have been happy
with the results. The plants grow, albeit slowly, which is fine with me
because I have two other tanks downstairs that are CO2 injected and need
regular attention.

Then James Foley asked:

> Can PMDD be used for lower light tanks that don't use CO2?

These selfsame tanks are fertilized with PMDD. With PMDD you only use as
much as the plants need. Lately I have been adding more and more PMDD
just to see what it will take to grow algae! So far I have managed to
produce one long strand of hair algae. But I don't suggest that you try
this until you have a good handle on your particular tank. Once you let
the algae monster loose, it is difficult to wrestle it back into its
cage. Unless you are Tom Barr. He's an algae monster wrestler from way back.

I guess the guppies are happy because the 18 gallon tank now has about
70 fry in it! Anybody want a guppy? :-))))

--

Cheryl Rogers
Right Stuff Web Sites
Web Design, Editing, Streamlining, and Maintenance
http://www.rightstuffwebsites.com
972-294-2248  or  940-368-7825 cell