Re:name that deficiency

Paul wrote:

I think that DPTA is a much more light resistant chelator, although itmight
not be resistant to UV light.  CIBA-GEIGY  sells iron DPTA.  It mightbe worth
your while to get some of that so that you can try out your theorythat you
are raising other micronutrients to toxic levels in the effort toget
measurable iron.  If you can't find any source of iron DPTA, I can sendyou
some.I think that the likely reason that plants didn't do so well for
somepeople who switched to tri-phosphor lamps is that the brighter light
causedmore rapid growth and greater demands on nutrients and something ran
out,causing deficiency and allowing algae to get started, etc.  You have
towork harder to keep everything supplied when the light is more intense.Iron
can be hard to supply in adequate amounts, and low-level irondeficiency does
not look like the classic iron deficiency where the newgrowth is very pale.
Low level iron deficiency can mimic nitrogendeficiency or potassium
deficiency or both.  The reason may be that theplants are actually unable to
get enough nitrogen or potassium because ofthe iron deficiency.  I have seen
examples of both apparent N and Kdeficiencies that didn't make any sense
because I knew how much nitrate andhow much potassium was in the water.
Pushing iron DPTA cleared up theproblem.

Thanks for the offer Paul. I just got flourish Iron in the mail- what do you
think about this source of Iron? Maybe Dr. Morin can tell us if light affects
the iron. If I dose flourish iron right now to say .5ppm I would bet any
amount that if I test in 24 hours it will be 0. If I repeatadly did this
would it stabalize? I guess it would if it was being used by plants/algae and
not light correct?

Jeff Vamos
cessnabum1 at aol_com