Re: Eric's algae

Eric McGlohon asks:

>Any idea what type of algae I have?  If it's staghorn, how do I get rid of it?
 >
>http://home.intranet.org/~eric/aquarium-picts/
>specifically,
>http://home.intranet.org/~eric/aquarium-picts/algae1.jpg
>http://home.intranet.org/~eric/aquarium-picts/algae2.jpg
>http://home.intranet.org/~eric/aquarium-picts/algae-on-hygro.jpg
>http://home.intranet.org/~eric/aquarium-picts/mystery-algae.jpg

Eric, I agree with Cavan.  It's Staghorn.

Stepping out onto a limb...

In your original post, you say that holes develop in your Hygro's
leaves.  You also say that you have 3.5W/gal of light.  Judging by my own
experience, especially with higher lighting, I'm certain that you need
potassium.  So, YES, start dosing that K2SO4! :)  I use Tom's
recommendation of 20-30ppm and I'm all grins.  To be specific, in my 20 gal
tanks, I add 3/4 tsp K2SO4 for an estimated 27ppm K+.  Once you add the K+,
keep a close eye on things.  Often, correcting one deficiency will reveal a
new one.

Hope it helps.
--
Chuck Huffine