Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #64

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aquatic Plants Digest" <Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com>
To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 12:48 AM
Subject: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #64

> Aquatic Plants Digest      Wednesday, May 1 2002      Volume 05 : Number
064

> In this issue:
>
> Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #63
> Re: Pomacea bridgesi = golden mystery snail
> Hardy water lilies
> Some help with plant4ed tank filtration please
> Summer tub fun
> Hydra
> Re: about KH buffering capacity
>
> See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing from the
> Aquatic Plants mailing list and on how to retrieve back issues.

> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:40:34 -0700
> From: Robert McCord <rbtmccord1 at earthlink_net>
> Subject: Some help with plant4ed tank filtration please
> .
> 1.Do not use a ug filter.  Get rid of it...throw it away...buy a cheap
aquaclear or something like that. YOu really only need mechanical and
chemical filtration.  An ugf is mostly biological.
2.Many people use straight flourite.  For your tank it would not be too
expensive.  Maybe 2 20lb bags at 18 bucks each.  If you know what you are
doing well enough...(I don't) some people go to landscaping places and pay
next to nothing...But you have to know and trust what you are getting.
Plant as much as you can afford from the get go. This will help you with
green water and algea frustrations later.
3.Use only the canister.  There are many types although very expensive.
Dupla is the most common manufacturer I think... Although I have stayed away
from substrate heat due to the cost.