Re: NO Hot Rod: Verilux and IceCap

It is interesting to note that the lumen maintainance of the lamp
almost exactly matches the performance of a VHO lamp even though that
lamp is NO and not VHO. I suspect that other NO lamps would not fair
nearly as well. Most 32 watt lamps have a lamp coating that prevents
mercury from being absorbed into the glass wall of the tube. They also
have instant start electrodes which can withstand the high current
starts. Maybe this doesn't matter as the lamps is probably going to
become too dim long before it actually fails. Sure sounds like VHO
performance from an NO lamp. I just bought some 865 Sylvania lamps for
$3 USD each. Looks like relamping on the new 55 gallon tank is going to
cost $6 a year.

Wayne