NO Hot Rod: Verilux and IceCap

I was reading the April 2002 issue of FAMA earlier today and came across an
article written by Sandy Cohen which some of you interested in overdriving
NO lamps may find worth a look...or not :).  In the article, Cohen details
his experience overdriving Verilux Natural Daylight lamps (32W T8 NO) with
an IceCap ballast.  Cohen asserts that the overdriven Verilux lamps
actually produce *more* light than VHO.  I'll leave most of the details to
Cohen's article, but here's some numbers to chew on:

INITIAL
power (drawn by lamp): 88W
lumens: 313

AFTER 100 HRS BURN IN
power: 88W
lumens: 303 (baseline)

6 MOS
power: 89W
lumens: 276 (8.9% decrease)

10 MOS
power: 86W
lumens: 249 (17.8% decrease)

The article actually states that lumens after 6 mos was 303, but I believe
it's a misprint.  The lux per watt value mentioned is 3.10 and the lamp was
drawing 89W, so lumens should be 276 not 303.

Cohen speculates that the drop-off in lumens after 10 mos would/could have
been considerably less had a fan been installed in the hood.  I imagine a
32W fluorescent drawing up to 3x that amount does get a little toasty.  He
is also careful to mention that the IceCap can overdrive the Verilux lamp
AND maintain its UL rating, while other electronic ballasts may not be as
safe or give as favorable of a result.

FWIW.
--
Chuck Huffine
Knoxville, Tennessee, where a mother of a storm dropped a gazillion hail