Re: Exploding glass, unven floors, 90 gallons

James wrote:

"A 90gal is about as heavy as most folks can safely go
on a wooden joisted main floor(of course there are
always exceptions,depending on era,local code,etc)...I
would have loved to have gone for the 48"x24"
125gal,as opposed to the 48"x18"90 gallon I "settled"
for....but I was too scared of my tank ending up in
the suite below mine :)"

Most modern structures are designed for a live load of 150 pounds per square
foot. A 90 gallon weighing 900 pounds with a footprint of 48" x 18" imparts
a concentrated load of 150 pounds per square foot. A 125 gallon weighing
1200 pounds with a footprint of 48" by 24" imparts a concentrated load of
150 pounds per square foot. But most of the floor area doesn't carry a full
load of 150 pounds per square foot over every square foot of area, although
theoretically, it could. The point being, larger tanks with bigger
footprints spread the load. Bigger tanks that are just taller, but with a
relatively small footprint, will impart a more concentrated load. Put the
tank next to a load bearing wall (the same wall exists below) and the

I am not your architect, structural engineer, lawyer, or spiritual guru.
YMMV, terms apply, see store for details.

TW