Co2, General Hardness, Carbonate hardness

I have just started using some DYI CO2 injection.  I am running a yeast
reactor through a filter and airline tubing into the intake of a Whisper
power filter.  I would like to know how one measures the amount of CO2 in
the tank and what is a good level to have.  I have a General Hardness test
and a Carbonate hardness test.  Also What is a good level of Nitrate to have
in a tank?  I have a fair amount of plants and no algae problems.  Lighting
is at 80 watts for a 40 gallon tank.  Your help is appreciated thanks.

Jim DeAngelo, CFM
Dewberry and Davis
METS Division
703-849-0119