Re: Siporex and clogging

I've used Siporex (the sintered glass rings made by Schott Glass) and they
DO clog up with biofilm to the extent that water won't flow through the
central void. I've also used the ceramic noodles sold by Eheim and never had
the problem.

But John Wheeler is right - there really isn't a need, in a fully planted
and properly stocked tank for a lot of fancy (and expensive) filtration
media. Open cell foam ought to offer more than enough area and can be rinsed
repeatedly to remove particulate and replaced when needed without taxing
anyone's budget. Save the bucks for really fancy gadgets......or really good
books....

James Purchase
Toronto