Re: Confused about biofiltration

I am forwarding this with Micah's permission...

From: "Micah Johnston" <mjohnston93 at cogeco_ca>
To: <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
Subject: Re: Confused about biofiltration
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 13:09:02 -0500

Hi,

Just a few quick thoughts from me which might help:

Both bacteria (nitrosomonas and nitrobacter) responsible for the nitrogen
cycle require oxygen and expel carbon dioxide as a part of their biological
process.  In any tank there is only a finite amount of nutrients and
substance for these bacteria to grow.  An efficient tank's bacteria column
will "level-off" at a point where all nutrients have been consumed.  In
other words, the levels of bacteria will increase until their food sources
deplete, as with any natural food cycle.  This means that there is a limited
amount of bacteria a tank can sustain.  With that being said, one could
argue to have those bacteria located where desired and in this case on
bioballs.  The reasoning behind doing this in a planted tank is that the
bacteria, if living ON the plant leaves, will rob the plants of many
nutrients the plants themselves require. Even ammonia will be "sucked up" by
the bacteria before the plants would make use of such fertilizer.   However,
the prime argument people have made for the use of bioballs, or the like, is
due to the stable environment they provide as opposed to the conditions they
might find on plant leaves.  This is as a result of photosynthesis.  As you
may well know, during daytime plants consume carbon dioxide and expel oxygen
as a result of photosynthesis, and at night time they expel carbon dioxide
and consume oxygen.  It's this time, at night, when things become unstable.
By releasing carbon dioxide the plants kill some bacteria on their leaves
through asphyxiation and further compound this problem by competing with the
bacteria for oxygen.  By morning, the levels of bacteria have lowered
substantially and only begin to rebound throughout the day.  It's not
catastrophic, but the impact of this fluctuation is amplified inversely by
the size of the tank, that is, the smaller the tank the greater the impact
of the fluctuation.  Had the bacteria column been located elsewhere in the
tank (even if only centimeters away from the plant leaves) the fluctuation
would have been greatly reduced.

Better or worse?

;^)

Cheers,