Re: Biowheels

Stephen Boulet said, in part:

> I thought that the big advantage to the biowheels was not that they
> had gobs
> of surface area, but that they were exposed to atmospheric oxygen,
> allowing a
> much larger bacterial colony than if submerged.

Well, surface area is a part of it.  If the pleated polyester wasn't
porous, it wouldn't do much good.  The water becoming a film (which
requires a surface area, allows for high oxygen "absorbtion" and
surface area is where the biofilms go to set up housekeeping.  So a lot
of surface area is good for biofiltering.  You could run the water down
large broad sheets of material but he size is impractical.  Marineland
has claimed a phenomenal surface area for the media in Biowheels --
which has baffled those that couldn't think of the material as porously
fibrous ;-) . . . Although Roger suspects that, when they load up with
biofilm, they clog up, becoming much less porous.

Scott H.