Anubias Barteri to branch

I know about a month ago someone had posted a message saying that as long as
a portion of the rhizome has two roots or more it can be cut off and
transplanted. I went home that night, plucked up my anubias (which had a
long rhizome 2" or so) and cut off a piece. It has been, well about a month,
and it has a leaf growing. I assume that if a portion is cut off, then the
nutrient levels in the rhizome build up to a point that tells the plant to
grow a leaf bud. Not sure if that would work by just nicking the rhizome,
but I do have a transplant that seems to be doing well!