removing giant sword plants

Hey gang,

I'm lucky enough to have witnessed the truly awesome
power of a *humongous* rubin sword. It has filled 2/3
of a 46 gallon bow front. Truly a magnificent
specimen, but now I want it out! It went from 8" six
months ago to 2 foot tall with about 60 or 70 leaves
today. I assume that the roots are present in the
majority of the substrate and there is the
problem.....

How the heck do I get this thing out?! Can I cut
around the base into the gravel and leave the majority
of the finer roots in the substrate?

Also, as you can surely imagine, it must be root
bound. Any experiences/suggestions are really
appreciated.