Re: Plastic Purveyors

> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 07:38:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Subject: Plastic Purveyors
>
> I vaguely recall someone recently listing source(s) for clear acrylic
> or polycarbonate sheets and bonding chemicals and dispensers.  But I
> can't seem to find it in the archives.  Can anyone name some good
> sources for such materials?  (I mean besides Home Depot, which usually
> has an odd assortment of sheets and no "glue"  :-\  )
>
> Thanks,
> Scott H.

Scott may be looking for bigger pieces that I am about to describe, but
others may find this experience helpful.  I recently had need of a small
piece of plastic to keep a cryptocoryne from spreading up against the
glass of the tank.  While walking through a mall near us, I passed one of
those shops that sells and frames posters.  It occurred to me that they
might have some scrap plastic, and, sure enough, they had a huge bin full
of pieces of all sizes.  When I explained what I needed, they were happy
to fish out (sorry!) a piece and cut it to the size I specified -- all at
no charge.  It was thin enough so that I could simply wiggle it right into
the gravel about an inch in from the glass, making a nice invisible
barrier against those unwanted intruding roots.

John T. Fitch
E-mail: jtfitch at spamcop_net
Web Site: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html