FW jelly

> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:17:44 +0000 (GMT)
> From: "Lee E. Krieger" <krieger at ans_net>
> Subject: FW jelly
>
> Greetings to all,
> Has anyone had any experience with fresh water jelly fish?
> Do they harm the plants in any way if/when they lay on them?
> Or are they only bad for live animals ie:fish and shrimp?

Hehe.. I'm sure most people think you and I are crazy, but I have seen
these also (and won several bets).  My friend has a pond on his
property, ~3 acre feet and he had a *huge* blume of these around
august/september of last year.  If my memory serves me correctly, the
majority of the sightings of these things have been seen in Southern
Jersey/PA/Delaware area.  Apparantly they are brought in by migratory
birds.  We did throw a few in his empty fish tank along with some baby
bluegills, but decided against keeping them after we saw most of the
bluebills dead.  I don't think any LFS would carry these - look for them
in warm water, we found all of them downwind in a mostly stagnant pond
where a lot of birds frequent.

Cheers,
Jeff Ludwig