Re: 10 Gallon Algae Attack

Cavan wrote:

>I didn't get any responses the other day on my big
>post so here's another try.

Do you need some cheese with that? :-)

>10 gallons
>1 36 watt AH PCF
>50 GPH Duetto
>Flourite
>Yeast co2 - PH 6.7
>7 dGH, 5 dKH
>.5ml Flourish, .25 Flourish Iron per day
>5 ml Flourish Potassium per week
>4-6 N (Lamotte), .2-.5 P
>78F
>
>As I said, there was some hair algae on the riccia I
>put in.  I thought that if I kept things in the
>suggested ranges it would be ok.  I have noticed that
>this tank goes through a lot less nutrients than my
>nearly spotless 30.  I think the problem may be that
>the plants just aren't established enough and/or
>enough of them.  They are growing, but have a bunch of
>fuzz on them now.

IMHO, I would stop adding the flourish and Flourish Fe for a little while...
When I set up my 29G, I had a similar algae problem that only lasted a week
or two after I stopped adding extra ferts. But, other than that, the params
look good.  I think it will get better once things get established.

>Some questions:
>
>1.  Am I correct in thinking that the cause is just
>that things aren't quite established?  My 30 has
>almost the same exact conditions but in that tank I
>need no herbivores.

I think so.  Either that or the hex I put on you for getting all the free
flourite is starting to work... <g>

>2.  Are ghost shrimp compatible with the japonica?  I
>could add a bunch of those for cheap.

I like the ghosts, but they don't eat much algae if you feed the fish.  Mine
are little beggars and come to the surface to steal food from the fish.  I
have watched one pull a wriggling black work from the mouth of a
medium-sized Ram...

>3.  The glosso looks a bit yellow.  Is it safe to add
>more iron?

I suspect the glosso needs more CO2 and NO3...  Like I said, I would hold
off a bit on the ferts till the plant mass fills in, and then go back to
these levels.  You'll likely need to add these amounts once things get
going.

As I said in my email to you, I would try to get the pressurized CO2 on this
tank -- with that much light you'll need it.  Or just get used to checking
CO2 often.

-Tony