Re: Roots from internodes

Some plants are just that way... I had Cardamine lyrata, which is
absolutely the worst. Got rid of it. I think most Hydrocotyle plants are
probably just as bad. With some plants, it doesn't happen as much; if they
are planted a little bit crooked, some of the lower nodes might get roots.
Most stem plants *will* start growing roots at nearly every node when they
reach the surface and proceed to grow horizontally (bend).

My Bacopa monnieri and Rotala indica are nice in that they rarely exhibit
this annoying behavior of growing roots in random places. This is, of
course, as long as they're not bending over at the surface of the water.
Lobelia cardinalis also tends to grow roots at every node, *unless* the
stem happens to be at a perfect right angle with the floor. But as long as
the plant is growing in a very compact manner, it hides the roots well enough.

I think it's just the nature of some plants. If you don't like it, but
otherwise enjoy the look of the plant, you can see if there isn't another
species that could substitute it. Or you could trim off the extra roots
when you do your regular prunings. Maybe with some species, lighting could
affect this behavior, but with others, it's just the plant.

-Naomi