Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #23

>I hope that the taxonomists soon enter the computer age and come to realize
>that the "scientific" name should just be used to identify a particular
>species.  There are better ways to link a species to its
>relatives than by it's "scientific" name.

>Bill

If you can do better than Carolus Lineus, then by all means, please do.  Just make sure people know which sharks, cats, bumble bees, pencils, hatchets, swords, lions and tigers and bears (0h my!), you are referring to.

Taxonomy, like all science, is an ongoing process of investigation, evaluation and re-revaluation, all the time using newer techniques such as DNA analysis and, oh yes, c-o-m-p-u-t-e-r-s.  If you can't handle the science behind the hobby, then leave it to those who can.

G. Martinez