Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:29:47 -0500
From: Dwight <boukmn at mindspring_com>
Subject: Florida Flag Fish Forever

>Discuss the pros and cons of wheter the Florida Flag
>Fish is named correctly...

This misses the point.  There is no "right" or "wrong"
in a common
name.
You might as well try to argue that Siamese Fighting
Fish is "wrong" as
common name and insist we all call the fish a Betta.
This is just as pointless.

Scott:

>There is no Florida Flag Fish. It is the American
Flag
>Fish. The people calling it Florida Flag fish are
>wrong. ;-)

I promised myself I'd avoid being drawn into another
FFF fracas.
REALLY I
did!  Especially by someone using a free email
address.  The list has
seen
so much carnage lately and there seems so many more
important things to
discuss.  I for one, have done my best to avoid the
entanglements since
they have gotten done right dangerous lately. But this
is one for the
newbies:  Florida Flag Fish is a common and accepted
name for
Jordanella
floridae far and wide.  This name appears in online
publications,
written
publications, pet stores, wholesalers....you name it.
The fish in a
native
American Killifish that evolved in Florida and is also
now found in
patches
of south GA.  The arguements on both sides for the
name Florida Flag
Fish
or American Flag Fish are logical and quite valid.
The AFF people base
their name on the way they think the fish looks like.
Under certain
lighting conditions they think they see patterns that
resemble the
American
Flag.  We FFF people base the name on its undisputed
region of origin
(our
warm state of Florida) which is also what the
scientific name is based
on.
A happy medium was long ago reached of "we'll agree to
our own
preference
of name, while seriously IDs are done with the
scientific name
Jordanella
floridae".   I count several in the "American Flag
Fish" crowd as my
friends:-)

The only people who want to make an issue of insisting
on AFF as a
"right"
common name and that the FFF people are "wrong" only
want a fruitless
arguement, since they are in no position to insist on
the rightness
wrongness of a COMMON name that has historical,
regional, national and
international acceptance.  Please check the archives.
Thankfully, they
are
very, very few such insistant individuals who want to
try to "bully"
the
Florida Flag Fish name out of existence to satisfy
their own egos.
Perhaps
just one or two.  It is testiment to their futility
that one or two of
them
try to lable us FFF people as "wrong" periodically
that they think they
are
losing the newbies.  We FFF people never call them
wrong.  We think
they
have a right to any common name they choose for
Jordanella
floridae...as do
we.  Its called freedom of speech.  Not an
insignificant concept as we
see
how costly it is to defend that freedom against
bullies.