Lighting in Amano Aquaria

Like many others, I have been impressed and inspired by the "Nature
Aquarium World" books of Takashi Amano.  And like others, I have noted
that the lighting used seemed to be more intense per unit volume for small
tanks than for large tanks.  Erik Olson noted this in a 1998 article for
The Krib.  His conclusion, at the time, was that the lighting was more
closely proportional to surface area than to volume.

I have recently taken another look at the data and come up with a
different interpretation.  Rather than take up a lot of space here on the
APD, I have posted the results on a web page:

www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

John T. Fitch
E-mail: jtfitch at spamcop_net
Web Site: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html