Reducing hardness with peat and TWP

Greetings,

My water tests at 7 degrees hardness coming out of the tap.
In the tank, it builds up to about 10 degrees hardness. I
am hoping to reduce the hardness by using a peat filter. I
have the Tap Water Purifier (Filter) thta hooks up to the
sink faucet and I was wondering if anyone has converted it
to a peat filter.  I am thinking of taking out the contents
and putting in peat with filter floss on the ends.  Has
anyone tried this?

How much peat do you add to get to the desired hardness?
Can I leave the peat in the TWP until my next water change,
or will it mold?

I would be open to other ideas of reducing the hardness.

Thanks,

Michael