Re: Replacing CF Lamps

Wayne wrote:

"There is no way a 96 watt PC is normally that much more efficient decent
fluorescent lamp setups."

Then why am I able to grow swords and glosso under what would be about 1
watt per gallon, 2 watts at mid-day peak? And that's flat thick glosso, by
the way. I think that the older lamps and reflectors were either not very
good, both in terms of lumens and spectrum, or the 3 watts/gallon rule was
wrong to begin with. Maybe some of both.

"I have never seen any useful information on the spectral shift of
fluorescent lamps. I think it is mainly one of those aquarium myths."

Anecdotal evidence only. When the CF lamps got older, BBA increased.
However, there were other changes occurring in the tank that made a direct
relationship questionable. I'll watch for it again as the new lamps age and
see if it repeats.

TW