Cloudy water returns....with avengence!

> Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 11:58:23 -0500
> From: "Dave T." <dave at computergeek_dyndns.org>
> Subject: Cloudy water returns....with avengence!
>
> So, its been about a week or so, and right on schedule my cloudy water
has
> returned!

Dave, for whatever it's worth I have had a long running problem that
appears exactly the same as yours. I can say that it all started when I
added more lights to my setup (standard 55 gallon tank, 280W Wide
spectrum lamps).

Before then the only time I ever had cloudy water was when I first set
up the tank, which is pretty much normal as I understand it. Added
lights (tank originally had 2 X 30 W fixtures) and since then like
clockwork, I get green water and or white haze every 7-10 days or so.
The only way I have found to clear it is to do a massive (and I mean
massive >50%) water change.

The usually available algae killers and control chemicals found at the
local stores have little or no effect. I have made a conscious effort
not to overfeed, still no help.

Typically, my water is something like this (as of now):
PH: 7.2
KH: 6 DH
GH: 7 DH
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

I am using a DIY CO2 setup with one of Tom Barr's very excellent
reactors, my plants are growing and pearling like crazy.

Recently I added a UV sterilizer that I purchased from
http://www.thatfishplace.com (part # CU0060 $79.00), and I have gone
past the 14 day mark without any kind of cloudy water problem.

Anyway, I think I found my solution with the sterilizer, I reckon you
may want to try that.

Cheers,
Art

artbatista at artbatista_com