Re: hair algae

<< Re: hair algae >>

Some forms of hair algae grow rapidly in high levels of iron when sufficient
phosphate is present.
If I've learned own thing in this hobby it is to address the problem not the
symptom. To look for a "cure all" to get rid of your hair algae is putting
the cart before the horse. Get a phosphate kit and an iron kit. Test and
record your findings (this will be very helpful over the next few months as
you move towards stability) as every closed aquatic environment varies due to
tap water, kind of ferts, substrate, etc. What may be high for one aquarium
may be low for another depending on the variables. If you find that your test
results indicate high levels then make the appropriate adjustments: change
your brand of fert, lower feeding level, increase water changes, etc. Record
what changes you make and then record the results.
SAEs are great but I would rather feed them flake food than have my tank
create a bumper crop of hair algae for them.

Scott S.