Re: Silicone versus Silicone

All silicone is NOT the same. Many Hardware store silicone have anti-algae
and fungus chems added. I learned this the hard way many years ago. the GE
stuff with the part # R012A used to be safe I dont know if it still is.  Also
you would be better off with something like those Epoxy Sticks availible for
reef use. Silicone will hold the slate for a while but not the most secure
way to do it.

Just my experience.

> Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:19:13 -0500
> From: "Thomas Zaccone" <tomjean at worldnet_att.net>
> Subject: Silicone versus Silicone
>
> Thanks to advice from this group, I think I solved the problem of making
> hollow outcroppings of slate.
>
> After breaking off fragments, I use the rough stone of a bench grinder set
> on low, to dull the edges and shape the slate shards.
>
> Now I'm wondering about silicone.  The local pet shop sells silicone for
> about $5.00 for a small tube.
> Home Depot et al. sells a large tube for much less, correspondingly.  Are
> all types of silicone equally safe to use in tanks?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---