Re: potassium permanganate - warning

Hi,

I just wanted to warn everyone to be careful handling and storing
potassium permanganate.  It is a strong oxidizer.  Improper use of
the solid or strong solution can cause a fire or explosion.  I am not
trying to scare anyone from using it but just warning everyone to
treat it with some "respect", just like concentrated hydrochloric
(muriatic) acid needs to be treated with "respect".  Make sure you
pay attention to the warnings that come with the chemical.    I would
recommend storing a glass bottle of potassium permanganate in a
slightly larger container to prevent breakage or to contain a spill.
I would not put spilled solid crystals into the trash - they may
react with some of the items in the trash.  Also, potassium
permanganate will stain your skin (as well as many other things such
as the clothes previously mentioned).

Ken