Re: Calcium Carbonate a.k.a whiting and Aquatic Plants ListCoffee Mugs

Greg Morin wrote:

> Equilibrium does not contain calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is
> _very_ insoluble in water so you won't be able to achieve the same GH
> with calcium carbonate as you would with Equilibrium.
> --
>
> Gregory Morin, Ph.D.  ~~~~~~~Research Director~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Seachem Laboratories, Inc.      www.seachem.com     888-SEACHEM

It is true that calcium carbonate is insoluble in water, but it does not
mean that it doesn't work. It just means your water is cloudy upon
adding it until all the CaCO3 reacts with the HCO3 to form calcium
bicarbonate which is very soluble. I have been using a mix of calcium
carbonate and magnesium carbonate to raise my GH and KH with no ill
effects. The water is cloudy for about an hour, then it is all clear
again. Seems to me that since the hardness of naturally hard water is
made up primarily of these two compounds that you would want to use
these two compounds if you were attempting to replicate natural
conditions.

--
Jerry Baker