Re: Lava rock, S. pusilla, M. matogrossense & B. monnieri

    * From: Naomi Mizumoto <naomizu at pacbell_net>

>I'm interested in getting some Sagittaria pusilla for my small tanks. Is it
particularly sensitive or demanding of certain tank conditions?>

Not particularly.  It is about like any other Sagittaria.  Give it direct
light.

>Today, I bought a Myriophyllum matogrossense 'green' and it looks like
this: http://www.aquartica.dk/default.asp?id=556
Is this the emersed form? None of the other photos of M. matogrossense look
like this. They all seem to have a whispy sort of needle-like foliage. I
really have to stop doing this... Last time it was Bacopa myriophylloides;
I bought it, thinking it looked "cute," then found out that it was the
emersed growth. It all died, too.>

That does not look like matogrossense.  the only picture I have to go on is
the one in Kasselmann, where the leaves are a lot less finely divided.

Last but not least, I have a B. monnieri stem that's sending up a flower
spike. Unfortunately, the top of the stem is all the way up to the glass
cover, and I really need to trim it. If I cut it an inch or two from the
bottom, just enough so that when replanted the tip is hitting the water's
surface, could the flower still blossom? Or is there no chance since it'd
be separated from the roots? I would really love to see the flower blossom.
Yes, I really need to get out more ;-).

Just give it a day or two, and it will bloom.  Then, cut it.

Paul Krombholz in summer-like central Mississippi, where chimney swifts
arrived yesterday.