hair grass

I just joined the list and hope that I am not asking a question that is
asked too often. This is my first aquarium, and my first aquarium with live
plants. I bought some hair grass and micro sword
(lilaeopsis-novaezelandiae). I am growing some here in a large jar at my
desk growing in aquarium gravel and clay I dug out in the woods. I have a
grow light on it and some snails. Is there an 'ideal' condition that I can
provide for growing the hairgrass? Would the conditions also be suitable for
the micro-sword?

Thanks,

Travis