Phosphate levels

Hello Folks:
    I was wondering....if all else is going fine, can
I get my tank to use up its phosphates and see the
levels of phosphate reduced.  I can get my iron levels
up to 2 ppm and the next day it is gone and have to
add more.  So I thought that perhaps by keeping the
tanks properly consuming iron, it might serves to help
reduce phosphates because the plants are utilizing
this nutrient as well.  Right now I can't tell the
difference on my phosphate test kit.  The shades of
blue are not discreet enought for me to make them out.
Thanks, Diana