If an oxygen molecule left Detroit travelling at 67 mph, and a CO2 molecule left New York City...

OK Ladies and Gentlemen, lets add a sidebar (I watched "The Practice" the
other night) to the "gas saturation" issue.

It is said one possible reason for the high pearling rates after water
changes is the higher concentration of dissolved gasses in the pressurized
water lines. As usual, I am confused. My question is "How did these
additional gasses get into the water?".

Most of the municipal water supplies I have seen here in Texas use an
elevated tank commonly called a water tower. This provides a near constant
pressure at the bottom of the tower before entering the distribution
system. Variations in pressure at the end users are a function of friction
and changes in the water flow. The more total flow, the lower the pressure
at the end of the pipe.

The tank at the top of the water tower is at atmospheric pressure,
resulting in the gasses reaching equilibrium levels. If the water is near
or super-saturated when it comes out of the faucet, where does the
additional gas concentration originate?

Douglas Guynn, in central west Texas, where there is more sand in the air
than moisture.

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
than to those attending too small a degree of it." -- Thomas Jefferson