SAEs and Christmas Moss

I received some Christmas Moss from LKL back in late
November or early December in return for contributing to
the defense fund.  Thank you very much LKL!  At the
time, I knew I was going to be replacing my tank soon.
So I simply put the moss in a mesh puch and let it float
in my tank.  I didn't grow, but it didn't die either.
It simply survived until I got my new tank.  The moss
has now been attached to the driftwood in my new tank,
which has been up and running since the beginning of
February.  Unfortunately, the moss is not growing like
pictured on LKL's website or as anyone else has reported
with their moss.  I think it is because of my SAEs.
They are constantly poking around in the moss.  The moss
seems to have attached itself to the driftwood pretty
well, but it is not growing.  As soon as new fronds
start to grow out (if they are in fact growing), along
come my SAEs and mow it down!  I am constantly finding
fronds collecting on my filter intake or in slower
moving sections of my tank.  This really saddens me, as
I would love to have the Christmas Moss growing
beautifully in my tank.  It looks awesome in the
pictures I have seen.  Alas, I don't think I will enjoy
any such sight in my tank as long as I keep my SAEs.
But I definitely don't want to part with my SAEs
either.  Whatever shall a fishboy do?