Stinky driftwood

Hi all,

I got a beautiful piece of driftwood from www.aquariumdriftwood.com in July
(http://communities.msn.com/rsfish/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1),
and pieces of it have gone into 4 different tanks. In 2 of the tanks, the
driftwood smells bad - kind of a sharp, rotten, swampy smell. In one of
those tanks, I took the driftwood out & boiled it, and the smell went away &
hasn't come back. In two of the tanks, it never started to smell. But the
problem is in the big tank, the one in the picture. The wood stinks. I took
it out & scrubbed as much of it as I could, but there's java fern growing on
it, so I couldn't get in there, and also there are holes & crevices that I
can't get into. How do I get it to stop smelling bad - is it BGA?

I am willing to sacrifice the java fern, but boiling it is out of the
question - it is just too big. I do have a big sink (or the bathtub) I can
put it into. Would bleaching it help? What concentration, and how long, and
how do I get the bleach out after? The driftwood has never been dried out,
so it sinks all by itself, and I'd rather not dry it out. Is there something
I could add to the tank (planted & full of fish, but no shrimps) to kill off
whatever is making it stink?

Sorry this is long.

-Rachel