transporting snails

I've been trying to locate a source for MTS, but have not been able to
find one here in south-central Wisconsin.  For those of you with an
excess, I'd be willing to take some off of your hands.  ;)

How are snails best transported?  Can you snail-mail snails (please
forgive me, I couldn't help myself), or is it necessary to ship them?
Of, course, it is winter in south-central Wisconsin, so I wouldn't try to
mail snails now, but if it were summer, would such a thing be possible?
Is such a thing legal in the U.S.?

TOS

yes, it is snowing...