Re:GW algae

> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:09:20 +0530
> From: "drajitathale" <drajitathale at hclinfinet_com>
> Subject: RE : GW Algae
>
> If blackout is done for green water alge, will it not cause problems for
> photosynthesis by other plants and affect their growth or kill them?
>
> Dr Athale.
> Baroda, India.

Yes, if you let it go too long. Not more than 4-5 days. I've gone longer but
the plants do suffer but nowhere near as much as the algae. Plants can
handle much more dark time than many algae. Plants are regularly shipped and
in the dark for 5 or more days. 3-5 days is typically a good time for a GW
blackout. It needs to be black though, place a thick blanket over the tank
so that NO light gets in there for those days. Water change before and after
also.
Regards,
Tom Barr