N-P-K

Hello everyone,

I have been coming across the term N-P-K ratio  a number of times.  What is
the significance of this ratio to the plants health/growth?  Is there an
optimal ratio?  I have also read that N-P-K ratio can be changed to achieve
certain results.  How is it so?

I can measure N & P in my tank with test kits available for the stores.
But K is not easily measured with any kits available to hobbyists.  How
than do we know the amount of K available to the plants?

I am trying to find out the optimal amount of nutrients to supply to my
plants.  I will be very grateful if someone can help me out on this.

B C Lee(Singapore)