RE: Eheim Users....

ANY canister filter, after getting mucked up with "stuff", will increase
its "internal vacuum". Once that vacuum builds up, it'll start following
the path of least resistance by sucking in air through "weak seals" that
could be created by things like cat hairs. :)

Perhaps you are overfilling the media in your filter and it's getting
mucked up? Do you use LOTS of floss in it?

Also, does the hose that links to your intake happen to join in above
the water surface (I've had nothing but problems with Fluval intakes
where the intake has a "joint" that is often above water level and sucks
in air).

Regards,

Gregory

 http://www.myfishbox.com/members/ggooden